Friday, September 7, 2012

Life Upon the Wicked Stage

     All of us in the theatrical community have heard reference to "the acting bug", but in truth it seems to be more of a parasite than a generic bug. Dictionary.com defines a parasite as the following:  "an organism that lives on or in an organism of another species, known as the host, from the body of which it obtains nutriment." However, there are studies which show occasionally there are parasites which are just as helpful to the host, for example hookworms in small quantities prevent humans from suffering from allergies, asthma and a myriad of other common ailments without harm to the host.
    The "acting bug" is like that. That's why people call it a bug, once the creature has found a cozy nest inside its host, it may lie dormant, but it never lets go. Attempts to suppress the creature, to live what most might refer to as a "normal life" serve only to weaken the nature of the host.
    It's been too long since I've eagerly anticipated the fight for a role and now that has arrived I feel electric. Every fiber of my being buzzes with thought, passion, courage - I don't just want to win this role - I want to find the precipice of the emotional barriers, spread my arms, close my eyes and leap.
    Those around me think I'm mad, perhaps I am, since now that my schedule has cleared up I've signed on for one show and am auditioning for two more. All I can say is if this is madness, let me stay mad.


No comments:

Post a Comment